I’ve been planning to write tutorials for Opencart for a while now and it’s only now that I have a little time to spare and write this tutorial on how to upload images using FTP for Opencart. For this purpose if you’re still don’t have any FTP client installed in your laptop or PC, I would like to recommend you to download FileZilla and install it. You can download the latest version of FileZilla here: FileZilla Download (Will open in New Tab).
It’s not hard to install FileZilla, so I’m not going to explain the details here but if you need any guidance you can refer to FileZilla Client Installation Documentation.
So to setup and connecting your FTP client to your web server you need to know the following details of your FTP account:
- FTP address like ftp.domain.com
- Port (Usually port 21)
Note: This information is given when setting up a new FTP account, the default user was created as you signed up with your hosting provider and was emailed with your sign up email.
You can also view the details needed in your cpanel, under ‘FTP Account’.
In the ‘FTP Accounts’ screen you can create new FTP account or just use the existing accounts listed under ‘FTP Accounts’ or ‘Special FTP Accounts’
You can view the details by clicking on the ‘Configure FTP Client’ link. (Refer image )
In this tutorial I will show you how to connect to your FTP Account manually, but you can also download the FTP configuration file from your cPanel and use FileZilla to import the settings. Click on the ‘Instructions’ link to view on how to do that. (Refer image )
After you have downloaded and installed FileZilla, double click the icon to launch the program.
I) Click on File then select Site Manager.
II)You will see the “Site Manager” window pop up. On this window you’ll have to do the following:
- Click on “New Site”
- Type in the New FTP Site Name: (Can use any name like “My website”)
- Host: Type in the host address: (Your FTP address like ftp.domain.com)
- Port: Type in the Port Number (Usually 21)
- Logon type: Select Normal
- User: Type in your username.
- Password: Type in your password
- When the above steps are complete, click ‘Connect’ to connect to the server.
After the steps above you will be automatically connected to your server. You should see something like the image below.
- You can see the status of your connection or file transfer etc. here. (Refer image )
- Local Site: This is where you can browse you files and folder on your computer. (Refer image )
- Remote Site: In this window you can see the current files and folders contained in your selected Folder on your computer. (Refer image )
- This window will show you all the files and folder currently on your server. (Refer image )
- Here you can see list of files you have on your server in the folder you’ve selected. (Refer image )
So, now that we have done setting up and connected to the server now we can go and upload images to your Opencart Shop. We’re almost reach the easiest part which all that you have to do are only select, drag and drop~~ But before that we have to know where we should drop the files..
- Local Site: In this window you should go to the folder where you’ve places the product’s images which you want to upload to your Opencart Shop (Refer image )
- Remote Site: Here you should go to the folder where you’d installed you Opencart and go to ‘image’ folder then ‘data’ folder. (Refer image ).
- Select all the Folders or Files you want to upload (Refer image ), and then drag and drop it to the window on the right (Refer image )
And you just have to wait for all the images to be uploaded.
You can easily add the images to your products or products description using ‘Image Manager’.
So that is all..Happy Uploading!